Native New Yorker Rosemary Ponzo is a multitalented designer whose credits include film, television, theatre, and set design. Directors rely on her collaborative visionary abilities as she inspires actors, involving them in the costuming process.
"Rosemary Ponzo Designs are of the highest quality. She is innovative and extremely creative...I believe she would be a great asset to any production."
- Director Sam Raimi (Spiderman III, For The Love of The Game.)
Ms. Ponzo's works range from period silhouettes to contemporary concepts. She has recently been honored by The History Channel and Arts & Entertainment with an award nomination for her creative design work on “Roman Era.” On the contemporary scene, she has been personal stylist to Sandra Oh for the Emmy’s, Gweneth Paltrow, Josh Lucas, and Prince.
She has also worked abroad in Japan designing chic contemporary costumes for the acclaimed television series “Divorce Lawyer” for Za Zu Productions, also from ZaZu Productions, the feature film, “Sushi Prince”. On the lighter side, Ms. Ponzo’s designs were recently featured in the zany comedy of mistaken identity, “More Than A Woman” for Gem Gender Productions.
She also had the pleasure of costuming stars such as Sarah Brightman (Music of the Night, Songs of Andrew Lloyd Webber), Bruce Morrow, Mary J. Blidge, Michael Bolton, and Frankie Vali (The Four Seasons) in the WLIW Channel 21 Pledge Campaign.
Ms. Ponzo has been personal groomer to his Honor Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of New York City, Senator Chuck Schumer and former NYC Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani. Additionally, she was the New York stylist for the USA Networks Premiere of Rudy, The Rudy Giuliani Story starring James Woods.
Other feature films include: the drama Minotaur (HBO) starring Josh Lucas (Poseidon, Stealth), Milli Avital (Kissing a Fool), Vinnie D. starring Michael Imperioli and Tony Sirico (both from The Sopranos), and the popular Jerry Bruckhiemer film Coyote Ugly starring Tyra Banks. Soon to be released is the 3-D PBS movie A Harlem Fantasy, recreating the well-known Cotton Club with all its glamorous costumes.
Among Ms. Ponzo's New York theatrical releases are costumes for the world-renowned Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, and Sing a Song of Sixpence for The British American Theatre Alliance. Also, lending her talents to the creation of beautiful environments including set design, Ms Ponzo and her associates have designed ten interiors for the Mars Candy Corporation plus period sets and costumes for The Homeside Lending Institution.
Her most recent network television commercials, which can be seen in heavy rotation, are: Elle Media Group’s (Elle Magazine) “Text Messaging,” New Jersey Tourism, Dentyne Crystal Ice chewing gum, Produce Pete, Pfizer's prescriptive drug Actonel, On Guard (Children’s Safety Watch) and the Cleo nominated IRS commercial, as well as a television pilot for The History Channel entitled "Fashion Flashback." Ms. Ponzo was also Art Director for Japan's Marie Claire fashion magazine.
Ms. Ponzo's designs have also been photographed and featured in The New York Times, Lustre Magazine, The Daily, New York Social Diary, Gotham and in New York Magazine.
Her strong commitment to give back to the artistic community that she loves has led Ms. Ponzo to guest lecture at: New York University Film School, Fashion Institute of New York, Parsons School of Design, and School of Visual Arts.
"Ms. Ponzo's innovative concepts, creative ideas and personality have put her among the most sought-after designers"
- Rise Kern (VP, ICM Artists)
"I find Ms. Ponzo has great abilities, talent, enormous enthusiasm and drive."
- Academy Award Winner Milena Canonero (Marie Antoinette – Costume Designer
- A HARLEM FANTASY, starring Mary Bond Davis and Jimmy Lockett, Director Aleta Chappelle
- COYOTE UGLY, NY scenes, starring Tyra Banks, Producer Jerry Bruckhiemer
- HARRISON BERGERON, starring Christopher Plummer, John Astin, and Shawn Astin, Director David Stern
- MINOTAUR, starring Milli Avital and Josh Lucas, Director Jonathan Tammuz
- NEW YORK COP, starring Mira Sorvino, Chad McQueen, Director Don Turo
- RUDY, THE RUDY GIULIANI STORY, NY scenes, starring James Woods, Director Robert Dornhem
- SUSHI PRINCE, ZaZu Productions, Director Yukihiko Tsutsumi
- THE 24 HOUR WOMAN, scenes starring Rosie Perez, Director Nancy Savoca
- VINNIE D, starring Tony Sirico, Michael Imperioli, Tony Darrow, Director John Gallager
- GUIDING LIGHT, CBS TV
- WLIW CHANNEL 21 PLEDGE CAMPAIGN
- THE HISTORY CHANNEL ROMAN ERA
- DIVORCE LAWYER ZA ZU PRODUCTIONS, Japanese TV
NEW JERSEY TOURISM, TEXT MESSAGING (Elle Media Group, Elle Magazine) ACTONEL (Pfizer Prescriptive Drug), ANACIN, BROWN & JORDAN PATIO FURNITURE DENTYNE CRYSTAL ICE, INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE (Cleo Nomination) MCDONALD’s, ON GUARD (Children’s Safety Watch), and SONY WITH TONY BENNETT PROJUVA SKINCARE WITH KIM ALEXIS
DE LA SOUL (Grammy Winner), PRINCE: RADIO CITY MUSIC TOUR, THE MISFITS, MTV’s NICKOLODEON, and TOKYO LIGHTS.
THE ALL NIGHT STRUT (1930's Review, tour), ANNIE GET YOUR GUN (tour, The Nederlander Group), MADAME TUSSAUDS WAX MUSEUM (Gala New York Opening), NOISES OFF (Polka Dot Playhouse), SING A SONG OF SIXPENCE (British American Theatre Alliance), DEFENSES OF PRAGUE (Cabaret Show).
- BFA, The Fashion Institute of Technology, Apparel Design
- BFA, The Fashion Institute of Technology, Product Design
- New York University Film School
- IN New York Magazine
- Profile: "Rosemary Ponzo", Costume Magazine
- "Clothes Do Make the Actor", Film and TV Directory by Career Press
- "Costume Call", Dance Magazine
- Metropolitan Museum's Costume Institute
- National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
- New York Women in Film and Television
- United Scenic Artists, New York
- Costume Designers Guild, Los Angeles